Categories of Special Interest
1850 - 1870
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1860, retaining most original fenestration with single-bay single-storey canted bay window to right ground floor. Part refenestrated, c.1985. One of a terrace of eight. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and 1/1 timber sash windows having replacement aluminium casement windows, c.1985, to first floor. Round-headed door opening with rendered doorcase, timber panelled door, and overlight. Set perpendicular to road with shared forecourt.
An elegant, well-proportioned house, built as one of a terrace of eight units, which retains its original form and massing, together with some important salient features and materials. However, the gradual replacement of the original fittings to the window openings with inappropriate modern articles threatens the historic character of the composition. The house, together with the remainder of the terrace (including 22830111, 145 - 146, 271, 3 - 4/WD-09-30-111, 145 - 146, 271, 3 - 4), is an appealing component of the townscape, positioned on a slightly elevated site overlooking John's Hill.