Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Architectural Historical Social
1780 - 1790
Detached fifteen-bay three-storey over raised basement infirmary, dated 1785, originally on a U-shaped plan comprising three-bay three-storey pedimented entrance breakfront with three-bay three-storey recessed flanking wings, three-bay three-storey advanced flanking end bays, and five-bay three-storey returns to south-east. Extensively reconstructed and extended, 2002 - 2003, comprising seven-bay four-storey infill block to south-east with three-bay four-storey breakfront having single-bay four-storey advanced central bay to accommodate use as apartments. Pitched and hipped roofs to main block behind parapet (gables to returns in form of half-dormer attic) with replacement slate, 2002 - 2003, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, rendered coping, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, 2002-2003. Hipped slate roof to infill range with clay ridge tiles, and uPVC rainwater goods. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with cut-limestone dressings to front (north-west) elevation including quoins to corners, raised rendered lettering to breakfront, cut-limestone frieze with moulded cornice over supporting rendered parapet having cut-limestone coping, and cut-limestone surround to breakfront forming open bed pediment. Square-headed window openings (Venetian window opening to top floor breakfront) with stone sills. Replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, 2002 - 2003, with fixed-pane overlights, and spoked fanlight to Venetian opening. Square-headed window openings to infill range with concrete sills, and timber casement windows. Round-headed door opening approached by flight of replacement steps, 2002 - 2003, with cut-limestone Doric doorcase having timber panelled door, triglyph frieze over, moulded cornice with modillions, and spoked fanlights with moulded archivolt having double keystone. Set back from road in own grounds on a wedge-shaped site at junction of two roads with rubble grounds to site. (ii) Gateway, 1785, to north-east comprising square-headed opening with cut-stone doorcase having chamfered reveals, unpainted rendered surround with cut-stone coping and sections of unpainted fine roughcast flanking boundary walls having cut-stone coping.
A monumental hospital in the Classical style, built to designs prepared by John Roberts (1712 - 1796), the plan and reserved detailing of which alludes to its original functional use as an institution. Occupying a prominent elevated site, the hospital forms an imposing landmark in the townscape. Presently (2003) in the final stages of reconstruction to accommodate an alternative use, many of the alterations have been made respecting the original form and appearance of the composition, although much of the historic patina has been lost. The survival of the original doorcase, which enhances the artistic design quality of the composition, and which attests to high quality local stone masonry.