Categories of Special Interest
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey over part-raised basement house with dormer attic, c.1850, retaining original aspect with single-bay single-storey projecting porch to left, lean-to canopy over ground floor, and two-bay single-storey flat-roofed projecting services range to south-west forming plinth. One of a terrace of five. Pitched (shared) slate roof (lean-to to canopy to ground floor with cast-iron spider-web spandrels) with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, shallow barrel felt roof to dormer attic window, and cast-iron rainwater goods on overhanging timber eaves. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings (in bipartite arrangement to basement) with stone sills. 3/6 and 6/6 timber sash windows with 2/2 timber sash windows to basement, and timber casement window to dormer attic. Elliptical-headed door opening with timber doorcase, timber panelled door, and spoked fanlight. Shallow segmental-headed door opening to projecting services block with replacement iron mesh door, c.1975. Set back from line of road with projecting services block fronting on to road having stone flagging, and sections of wrought iron railings over.
An appealing, modest-scale house of much character, built as part of a terrace of five identical houses (including 22830147, 293 - 295/WD-09-30-147, 293 - 295). Very well maintained, the house retains its original form and massing, together with important salient features and materials, including early cast-iron details. The house is distinguished by the projecting services block to front (south-west), which acts as a device providing a uniform entrance level to the terrace on the sloping site.