Categories of Special Interest
1770 - 1790
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1780, retaining original fenestration. Reroofed, c.1980. One of a terrace of four. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1980, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stacks, and replacement plastic rainwater goods, c.1980, on rendered eaves. Unpainted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. 3/3 and 6/6 timber sash windows. Round-headed door opening with two cut-stone steps, rendered surround, timber panelled door, sidelights, and decorative fanlight having moulded rendered archivolt. Set back from line of road with wrought iron railings to forecourt on unpainted rendered plinth, and wrought iron gate.
An elegantly-composed, Georgian house, which retains its original form and massing, together with most of the important salient features and materials, representing the most historically intact example in the terrace. Built as one of a terrace of four identical houses (with 22830124, 285 - 286/WD-09-30-124, 285 - 286), the house contributes to an attractive formal quality in the streetscape.