Categories of Special Interest
1770 - 1790
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1780. Reroofed, c.1980. Refenestrated, pre-1999. Now disused. One of a terrace of four. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1980, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and replacement plastic rainwater goods, c.1980, on rendered eaves. Unpainted rendered, ruled and lined wall to front (north-west) elevation with slate hanging to side (north-east) elevation. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and replacement uPVC casement windows, pre-1999, retaining original 6/6 timber sash window to side (north-east) elevation. Round-headed door opening with two cut-stone steps, rendered surround, timber panelled door, sidelights, and decorative fanlight having moulded rendered archivolt. Set back from line of road with wrought iron railings to forecourt on unpainted rendered plinth, and wrought iron gate.
An elegantly-composed, Georgian house, which retains its original form, and some of its original character. The survival of the original doorcase, the slate hanging to one elevation, and some early salient features and materials significantly enhances the historic quality of the composition. However, inappropriate replacement fittings to most of the window openings have not had a positive impact on the external appearance of the house. Built as one of a terrace of four identical houses (with 22830125, 285 - 286/WD-09-30-125, 285 - 286), the house contributes to an attractive formal quality in the streetscape.