Categories of Special Interest
Artistic Architectural Historical Social
1740 - 1760
Attached three-bay three-storey over basement house, c.1750, originally detached retaining some original fenestration with single-bay full-height pedimented breakfront having single-bay single-storey bowed portico to ground floor, three-bay three-storey side elevations to north and to south, and four-bay three-storey rear (east) elevation. Converted to use as Quaker school, 1798. Renovated, c.2000. Now in use as administration block. Hipped slate roofs on a quadrangular plan behind parapets with rolled lead ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Unpainted rendered walls with cut-stone frieze, moulded cornice, parapet over having cut-stone coping, and cut-stone surround to pediment. Square-headed window openings (Venetian-style window opening to first floor breakfront) with cut-stone sills. 3/3, 6/6 and 9/6 timber sash windows (with spoked fanlight to Venetian-style window having 2/2 sidelights) with some replacement models, c.2000. Round-headed door opening under bowed portico having two cut-stone curved steps, cut-stone columns, timber panelled door with decorative fanlight, and square-headed flanking sidelights with 4/2 timber sash windows. Interior with entrance/stair hall having stone flagged floor, timber panelled doors with moulded architraves, and carved timber staircase. Set back from road in own grounds (now shared with further school buildings) with sections of wrought iron railings to basement, tarmacadam forecourt, and landscaped grounds to site.
An attractive, well-appointed, substantial house of considerable importance in the locality, being the birthplace of Sir Thomas Wyse (b. 1791), diplomat and politician, and subsequently converted to use as a school for the Quaker population in the region. Composed on a symmetrical plan, and of balanced Classical proportions, the house incorporates a distinctive curved portico of some rarity value. Very well maintained, the house retains its original form and character, both to the exterior and to the interior, while replacement fittings have been installed with reference to the original models, maintaining the historic quality of the site.