Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1815 - 1835
Attached five-bay two-storey school, c.1825, originally detached comprising three-bay two-storey gable-fronted central block with single-bay double-height lower flanking recessed end bays having two-bay double-height side elevations to north and to south, and single-bay single-storey return to west. Refenestrated, c.2000. Pitched (gable-fronted) slate roof to main block with hipped slate roofs to end bays having clay ridge tiles, louvered vents to apexes to end bays (probably originally glazed lanterns), decorative timber bargeboards, and cast-iron rainwater goods on timber eaves. Unpainted roughcast walls with rendered piers to corners, rendered band to eaves, and moulded rendered course to top floor central block. Square-headed window openings (round-headed to first floor central block; round-headed to end bays in round-headed recesses) with stone sills. Replacement 6/6 timber sash windows, c.2000, with spoked fanlights to round-headed openings. Set back from road in grounds shared with school complex.
An attractive, symmetrically-planned building, composed of balanced proportions and reserved Classically-influenced detailing. Well restored, the building retains its original form and massing, and replacement fittings have been installed in keeping with the original integrity of the design. The building, together with the house to east (22830029/WD-09-30-29), forms a pleasant group of much character in the locality.