Categories of Special Interest
1820 - 1840
Attached three-bay three-storey house, c.1830, originally detached retaining original fenestration with single-bay three-storey projecting entrance bay to centre, and originally with elliptical-headed carriageway to right ground floor. Renovated, c.1880, with carriageway remodelled. Pitched slate roof (hipped to entrance bay) with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Unpainted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoins. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. 3/6 and 6/6 timber sash windows. Round-headed door opening with rendered surround, timber doorcase having consoles, timber panelled door, and decorative fanlight with moulded rendered archivolt having keystone. Elliptical-headed carriageway remodelled, c.1880, with timber casement window inserted (in tripartite arrangement). Set back from line of road with forecourt having unpainted rendered boundary wall with sections of iron railings over having decorative finials, and rendered panelled piers with iron gate. (ii) Attached three-bay single-storey coach house with dormer attic, c.1880, to north-west (set perpendicular to house). Renovated, pre-1999. Lean-to slate roof (gabled to dormer attic windows) with clay ridge tiles, square rooflight, decorative timber bargeboards, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, pre-1999. Unpainted replacement rendered walls, pre-1999. Square-headed window openings to dormer attic with timber casement windows having stained glass lights. Square-headed carriageway with timber boarded double doors.
A fine, well-proportioned late Georgian house that has been well maintained to present an early aspect, retaining its original form and massing, together with important salient features and materials. The house is distinguished in the streetscape by the projecting entrance bay incorporating an appealing doorcase, together with the window opening fashioned from a former carriageway. The survival of an attendant coach house to the grounds contributes significantly to the historic character of the site.