Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic, Social

Original Use


In Use As



1780 - 1810


259729, 112443

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached three-bay two-storey house, c.1795, retaining some original fenestration with five-bay two-storey return to north-west. Extended, c.1870, comprising two-bay two-storey advanced block to south-west having single-bay two-storey canted bay window to right, and single-bay single-storey bowed projecting bay (incorporating chapel) extending into single-bay single-storey canted oriel window over, with single-bay single-storey canted entrance bay to junction of two blocks to accommodate use as novitiate. Part refenestrated, c.1970. Reroofed, c.1995. Now in use as school. Hipped roofs with replacement artificial slate, c.1995, red clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.1995, on timber eaves. Unpainted rendered walls (possibly replacement, c.1995) with moulded rendered band to eaves to main block, moulded rendered courses to canted bay windows, and rendered parapets to bowed projecting bay and to entrance bay having rendered stringcourses and cornices. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. 3/6 and 6/6 timber sash windows to original portion with 1/1 timber sash windows to additional block, and some replacement timber casement windows, c.1970, throughout. Square-headed window openings to bowed projecting bay with fixed-pane stained glass windows. Square-headed door opening with Doric doorcase on rendered pedestals, and replacement glazed timber panelled door, c.1970, with overlight. Set back from road in shared grounds.


This building is an extensive range on a complex plan, attesting to its evolution over the years to accommodate changing purposes. Well maintained, the building presents an early character and retains important original salient features throughout. Of some artistic interest are the stained glass panels to the bowed projecting bay, which serve as a reminder of period when the building was in use as a novitiate. The building continues to serve a community-based use and is an attractive feature of historic character in the locality.