Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social, Technical
In Use As
1825 - 1835
Detached four-bay double-height Catholic church, c.1830, on a cruciform plan comprising two-bay double-height nave with single-bay double-height transepts to north-west and to south-east, single-bay double-height shallow transept to south-west, and single-bay single-storey sacristy with half-attic to south-west having single-bay single-storey gabled projecting porch to north-west. Renovated, c.1980. Pitched slate roofs on a cruciform plan with clay ridge tiles, cut-stone coping to gable to north-east having cross finial to apex, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves having iron brackets. Unpainted roughcast walls with cut-limestone panel to gable to north-east having quatrefoil detail. Pointed-arch window openings with stone sills. Square-headed window opening to first floor to north-east with cut-stone sill, and cut-limestone lintel. Fixed-pane leaded windows to all openings having stained glass panels. Four-centre-headed door opening to nave with cut-stone voussoirs, tongue-and-groove timber panelled double doors, and overlight. Square-headed door openings to transepts with tongue-and-groove timber panelled double doors. Full-height interior open into roof renovated, c.1980, with glazed timber panelled internal porch to north-east having timber panelled gallery over to first floor, carved timber Gothic-style flanking confessional boxes, carved timber pews, and open timber and iron roof construction. Set back from road in own grounds with concrete forecourt having random rubble stone boundary wall to perimeter of site with pair of cut-limestone piers having cut-stone capping, and wrought iron double gates.
An attractive church of solid appearance and reserved external detailing, attesting to a period of construction immediately prior to, or following, Catholic Emancipation in 1829. Well maintained, the church retains its original form and character to the exterior, while the interior, renovated following the Second Vatican Council (1963 - 1965), incorporates fine joinery to the internal porch and confessional boxes, features of artistic design distinction including the stained glass panels, together with an exposed roof construction of technical interest. Set overlooking Ardmore Bay, the church forms an important landmark site in the townscape.