Categories of Special Interest
1900 - 1920
Terraced three-bay two-storey house with dormer attic, c.1910, retaining original fenestration with full-height projecting piers to end forming recessed façade having single-bay single-storey flat-roofed projecting porch to left ground floor, single-bay single-storey flanking shallow canted bay window, and cantilevered concrete balcony over. Reroofed, pre-1999, with dormer attic added. One of a terrace of seven. Pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, pre-1999, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, replacement square rooflights, pre-1999, rendered coping to party walls, and cast-iron rainwater goods on overhanging rendered eaves (enclosing balcony to first floor and recessed façade). Flat concrete roof to porch extending to form cantilevered balcony to first floor. Painted rendered walls to front (north-west) elevation with projecting piers to ends framing recessed façade. Square-headed window openings in bipartite arrangement (paired to shallow canted bay window) with no sills. 1/1 timber sash windows to ground floor with timber casement windows to first floor. Square-headed door opening with glazed timber panelled door. Square-headed door opening to balcony with glazed timber panelled double doors. Road fronted with sections of hoop iron railings enclosing recessed façade, and sections of hoop iron railings to balcony.
An interesting modest-scale house, built as one of a terrace of seven identical houses (with 22821106 - 7, 167 - 8, 170 - 171/WD-31-21-106 - 7, 167 - 8, 170 - 171), incorporating a range of distinctive features that augment the architectural importance of the composition, including a shallow canted bay window, bipartite window openings, and so on, all framed within an enclosed recessed façade. Well maintained, the house retains most of its original form and massing, together with a range of important salient features and materials, which contribute to the historic quality of the site. The house, together with the remainder of the terrace, forms an attractive landmark of distinctive appearance in the streetscape of Old Chapel Lane.