Categories of Special Interest
Archaeological, Architectural, Historical, Social
In Use As
1820 - 1850
Detached three-bay four-storey gable-fronted rubble stone warehouse with attic, c.1835, on a corner site incorporating fabric of medieval house, c.1660, with five-bay four-storey side elevation to north. Extended, c.1885, comprising seven-bay four-storey rubble stone block forming twelve-bay four-storey side (north) elevation in total with elliptical-headed carriageway to ground floor. Reroofed, c.1935. Extensively renovated, c.1985, to accommodate use as apartments with ground floor in part commercial use. Pitched (gable-fronted) roof with replacement corrugated-asbestos, c.1935, concrete ridge tiles, rendered coping to gables, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Random rubble limestone walls to original block with lime mortar, and random rubble stone walls to additional range with lime mortar. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills (some replacement cut-limestone sills, c.1985), and rubble stone voussoirs. Replacement timber casement windows, c.1985. Square-headed window opening to gable with cut-stone sill, red brick segmental relieving arch over, and replacement fixed-pane timber window, c.1985. Square-headed door openings with rubble stone voussoirs, and replacement glazed timber panelled double doors, c.1985. Elliptical-headed carriageway with rubble stone voussoirs, and replacement tongue-and-groove timber panelled doors, c.1985. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete footpath to front.
An important reminder of the industrial activities that traditionally supported the economy of Dungarvan, this structure also incorporates fragments of medieval provenance, augmenting the archaeological significance of the site. Subsequently converted to an alternative use, little alteration works have been necessitated, and the original form and character remains largely intact. A substantial edifice, the warehouse forms an imposing landmark in the townscape.