Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use



1740 - 1760


226267, 92945

Date Recorded


Date Updated



End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey house, c.1750. Refenestrated, c.1975. Now disused. One of a terrace of four. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with insert cast-iron bootscraper to ground floor, and cut-stone stringcourses to each floor. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills (forming sill courses to upper floors), and replacement aluminium casement windows, c.1975. Round-headed door opening with moulded rendered surround in form of clustered colonettes, timber panelled door, sidelights, and decorative fanlight. Road fronted with flagged footpath to front.


A well-composed substantial house, built as one of a terrace of four houses (with 22821140 – 2/WD-31-21-140 – 2), which retains most of its original form. However, inappropriate replacement fittings to the window openings have not enhanced the visual appeal of the site, while the gradual deterioration of the site may compromise the surviving early fabric. Foremost amongst this is the attractive doorcase, incorporating a delicate fanlight, which contributes to the aesthetic quality of the site. The house, together with the remainder in the terrace, forms an appealing feature of formal appearance in the streetscape of Church Street.