Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1750 - 1770
End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey house, c.1760, on a corner site retaining original fenestration possibly incorporating medieval fabric, 1618, with two-bay three-storey lower return to east. Reroofed, c.1960. Now in use as offices. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) roof (hipped to return) with replacement artificial slate, c.1960, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves having iron brackets. Unpainted rendered wall to front (west) elevation with inset cast-iron bootscraper to ground floor, rendered pier to left ground floor, stringcourse to first floor, and rendered quoined pier to end to upper floors. Unpainted roughcast lime rendered wall to side (north) elevation over random rubble stone construction incorporating medieval fabric, dated 1618, with one inscribed cut stone. Square-headed window openings (in elliptical-headed recesses to ground floor) with cut-limestone sills (forming sill course to first floor). 3/6 and 6/6 timber sash windows with 8/8 timber sash windows to return. Round-headed door opening in elliptical-headed recess with cut-limestone step, timber panelled door, and decorative fanlight. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete footpath to front.
An elegantly-proportioned middle-size house, built as one of a pair (with 22821133/WD-31-21-133), which retains its original form and massing, together with a range of important salient features and materials. Features such as the elliptical-headed recesses to ground floor are a distinguishing characteristic of the composition, and enhance the architectural quality of the site. An important element of the composition is the stone, dated 1618, which indicates that the house possibly incorporates some fabric of archaeological significance. The house, together with the second in the pair, forms an appealing feature in the streetscape, and contributes to the visual appeal of Church Street.