Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social, Technical
In Use As
1895 - 1900
Freestanding bandstand, built 1897, on an octagonal plan on mass concrete base. Set in landscaped grounds.
A bandstand supplied by Walter MacFarlane and Company (established 1850) of Glasgow making a pleasing visual statement as the centrepiece of The Park. NOTE: The bandstand has been subject to numerous repairs and neither the anthemion-detailed apron nor the set of eight suspended gas lamp orbs survive. The railings, stereotypically "Victorian", replaced utilitarian tubular steel handrails which, in turn, replaced the original railings captured in a photograph by Robert French (1841-1917) of Dublin where the uprights showed lozenges and quatrefoils formed of voluted crescents [NLI L_ROY_08371].