Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1820
Terraced three-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1815, possibly originally two separate single-bay three-storey (south-east) and two-bay three-storey (north-west) houses. Extensively renovated, c.1990, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched slate roof behind parapet with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, square rooflights, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with rendered stringcourse to parapet having blocking course over. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990. Replacement shopfront, c.1990, to ground floor with fixed-pane timber display windows, timber panelled and glazed timber doors with overlights, and timber fascia over. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A well-proportioned middle-size house, possibly originally two separate houses, which retains its original form to the upper floors. However, the inappropriate replacement fittings to the openings, together with a shopfront of little design merit, have not enhanced the external expression of the composition. Nevertheless, the house remains an important element of the streetscape, contributing to an irregular roofline in the south-east range of a square planned by the Duke of Devonshire in the early nineteenth century.