Categories of Special Interest
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay two-storey over basement house, c.1850. Extensively renovated, c.1950, with openings remodelled to ground floor to accommodate commercial use. Refenestrated, c.1975. One of a terrace of three. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1950, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with moulded rendered (shared) cornice to ground floor having console, and rendered channelled pier to left first floor. Square-headed window openings (remodelled, c.1950, to ground floor) with rendered sills. Replacement fixed-pane timber display window, c.1975, to ground floor (having raised lettering, c.1950, over) with replacement timber casement windows, c.1975, to remainder. Square-headed door opening with replacement timber panelled door, c.1950, and overlight. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
An appealing small-scale house of modest form and appearance, built as one of a terrace of three houses (including 22821171/WD-31-21-171), which retains its original form to the upper floors together with some attractive rendered detailing, including raised lettering in the Modern style. The house, together with the remainder in the terrace, forms an important component of the streetscape, following the topography of the sloping site.