Categories of Special Interest
1850 - 1870
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, c.1860, retaining original fenestration with elliptical-headed carriageway to right ground floor. Renovated, post-1982, with replacement pubfront inserted to ground floor, and carriageway remodelled. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, chimney stack(s) not visible, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, post-1999, on overhanging rendered eaves. Painted rendered ruled and lined wall to front (south-east) elevation over random rubble stone construction with exposed random rubble stone construction to rear (north-west) elevation having lime mortar. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and exposed squared rubble stone voussoirs to rear (north-west) elevation. 6/6 timber sash windows. Replacement timber pubfront, post-1982, to ground floor with inscribed pilasters, fixed-pane (five-light) timber display window having round-headed panes, timber panelled double doors, fascia over having consoles, and moulded cornice with iron cresting. Elliptical-headed carriageway remodelled, post-1982, to accommodate two square-headed door openings with exposed rubble stone surround having squared rubble stone voussoirs, and replacement timber panelled doors, post-1982, with overpanel. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
An attractive, well-proportioned middle-size house retaining its original form and fabric to the upper floors, and which contributes to the visual appeal of the streetscape. However, the replacement pubfront is robustly detailed, and does not integrate well into the overall composition. The house is of additional importance on account of its associations with an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire, centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square, the development of Saint Mary Street reaching full realisation in the late nineteenth century.