Categories of Special Interest
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1830, retaining original fenestration. Renovated, c.1855, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with cut-stone sills, and 6/6 timber sash windows. Timber shopfront, c.1855, to ground floor on a symmetrical plan with pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows (having tongue-and-groove timber panelled sliding doors behind to display area), glazed timber panelled door with overlight, fascia over having moulded cornice, and awning on wrought iron brackets. Interior to ground floor with timber panelled counter, and glazed tongue-and-groove timber panelled screen with glazed timber panelled doors and double doors. Road fronted with concrete flagged footpath to front.
A fine, well-proportioned middle-size house retaining its original form and fabric to the upper floors. Of particular interest is the retention of an early shopfront to ground floor, together with a traditional shop interior. The house is an important component of the streetscape, and is of additional importance on account of its associations with an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire, centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square, the development of Saint Mary Street reaching full realisation in the late nineteenth century.