Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1820. Extensively renovated, c.1870, with shopfront inserted to ground floor, and render façade enrichments added. Now disused. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof behind parapet with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stacks, square rooflights, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with render façade enrichments, c.1870, including quoined piers to ends, and moulded cornice having blocking course over to parapet. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills on consoles, and moulded rendered surrounds, c.1870, having entablatures over on decorative consoles. Replacement 2/2 timber sash windows, c.1870. Timber shopfront, c.1870, to ground floor with pilasters, fixed pane timber display windows, timber panelled door and glazed timber panelled double doors with overlights, and fascia over having moulded cornice with wrought iron cresting. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
An attractive well-proportioned house, built as one of a pair (with 22821095/WD-31-21-95), which retains its original form and early fabric throughout. The house is distinguished by the fine robust rendered detailing, which is of artistic merit, and which attests to high quality craftsmanship. A particularly important survival is the early shopfront to ground floor, incorporating decorative cresting, which enhances the design distinction of the site. The house, together with the second in the pair, is an important component of the streetscape, and is of additional significance on account of its associations with an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire, centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square.