Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1820. Extensively renovated, c.1870, with render façade enrichments added. Reroofed and renovated, c.1995, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) roof behind parapet with replacement artificial slate, c.1995, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stacks, replacement square rooflights, c.1995, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with render façade enrichments, c.1870, including quoins to ends, moulded cornice having consoles, and blocking course over to parapet. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills on consoles, and rendered panelled surrounds, c.1870, having entablatures over on elongated decorative consoles. Replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1870. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1995, to ground floor with pilasters, fixed pane (three-light) display window having segmental-headed panes, timber panelled door and double doors, fascia over having consoles, and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
An attractive well-proportioned house, built as one of a pair (with 22821096/WD-31-21-96), which retains its original form and early fabric to the upper floors. The house is distinguished by the fine robust rendered detailing, which is of artistic design merit, and which attests to high quality craftsmanship. However, the replacement shopfront to ground floor is not a particularly attractive feature of the composition, and does not enhance the visual appeal at street level. The house, together with the second in the pair, is an important component of the streetscape, and is of additional significance on account of its associations with an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire, centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square.