Categories of Special Interest
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1840. Extensively renovated, c.1890, with pubfront inserted to ground floor. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on overhanging rendered eaves having iron brackets. Painted rendered walls with rendered quoined piers to ends. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, moulded rendered surrounds, and replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1890. Timber pubfront, c.1890, to ground floor with pilasters, fixed-pane (three-light) timber display window, timber panelled door and glazed timber panelled double doors with overlights, and fascia over having moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A fine, well-proportioned middle-size house, built as one of a pair (with 22821093/WD-31-21-93), which has been very well maintained, retaining its original form and early fabric throughout. Of particular interest is the pubfront to ground floor, which conforms to an Irish traditional model, and which is of artistic design quality. The house makes a positive contribution to the visual appeal of the street scene, and is of additional importance on account of its associations with an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire, centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square.