Categories of Special Interest
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1840. Refenestrated, c.1890. Renovated, c.1990, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on overhanging rendered eaves having iron brackets. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1890. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1990, to ground floor on a symmetrical plan with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows, glazed timber double doors, fascia over having consoles, and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A pleasing, well-proportioned middle-size house retaining its original form and early fabric to the upper floors, and which enhances the visual appeal of the streetscape. The replacement shopfront is not excessively detailed and, having been designed as a symmetrical piece, assimilates well into the overall composition. The house is of additional importance on account of its associations with an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire, centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square.