Categories of Special Interest
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1840, retaining early fenestration to top floor. Renovated and part refenestrated, 1971, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on overhanging rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoins to ends. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. 2/2 timber sash windows to top floor with replacement aluminium casement windows, 1971, to first floor. Replacement horizontal tongue-and-groove timber panelled shopfront, 1971, to ground floor with fixed-pane (two-light) timber display window, timber panelled and glazed timber doors with overlights, and replacement timber fascia board, post-1999, over. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A well-proportioned house retaining its original form, and some early fabric to the upper floors. However, the replacement shopfront to the ground floor does not enhance the visual appeal of the site at street level. The house is of additional significance for its associations with an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire, centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square.