Categories of Special Interest
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1850, retaining original fenestration with shared segmental-headed carriageway to left ground floor. Renovated, c.1875, with pubfront inserted to ground floor. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with rendered quoins to ends. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, moulded rendered surrounds, and 6/6 timber sash windows. Timber pubfront, c.1875, to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, glazed timber panelled double doors with overlight, and timber fascia over having replacement Perspex sign board, c.1975. Shared segmental-headed carriageway to left ground floor with painted tooled cut-stone voussoirs, and tongue-and-groove timber panelled double doors. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
An attractive well-proportioned middle-size house, built as one of a pair (with 22821089/WD-31-21-89), which retains its original form to the upper floors, together with important salient features and materials. The pubfront to ground floor is also an important early survival, and is of artistic design quality, although slightly obscured by the addition of an inappropriate box fascia. The house, together with the second in the pair, forms an attractive feature in the streetscape, and contributes to the historic character of O'Connell Street. The house is of additional significance for its associations with an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire, centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square.