Categories of Special Interest
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1840, retaining original fenestration. Reroofed and renovated, c.1990, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1990, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and replacement cast-iron rainwater goods, c.1990, on replacement uPVC eaves, c.1990. Painted rendered walls with exposed random rubble stone wall to side (north-west) elevation having lime mortar. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and 6/6 timber sash windows. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1990, to ground floor with fixed-pane timber display windows, glazed timber door, and timber box fascia over. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
An appealing well-proportioned house retaining its original form and most of its original fabric to the upper floors. However, the replacement shopfront incorporating a corporate design does not enhance the visual appeal of the composition at street level. The house is of additional significance for its associations with an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire, centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square.