Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1840, on a corner site probably originally part of larger three-bay three-storey composition with house to north-west having two-bay three-storey side elevation to south-east. Renovated, c.1890, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Extensively renovated, post-1999, to accommodate apartments to upper floors. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoins to ends. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, post-1999. Rendered shopfront, c.1890, to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows having segmental-headed panes with decorative detailing over, Corinthian flanking colonettes, glazed timber panelled double doors with overlight, fascia over having consoles, and moulded cornice. Road fronted on a corner site with concrete footpath to front.
An attractive modest-scale house, probably originally built as part of a larger composition with an adjacent house to north-west (22821085/WD-31-21-85), which has been well restored to the upper floors with replacement fittings installed to the openings alluding to the original models. An important early survival is the finely-detailed shopfront to ground floor, which is of considerable artistic merit, and which attests to high quality craftsmanship. The house occupies an important corner site, and makes a positive contribution to the streetscape value of O'Connell Street and Old Chapel Lane.