Categories of Special Interest
1830 - 1840
End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey house, c.1840, retaining original fenestration. Renovated, c.1965, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on slightly overhanging rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined wall to front (south-west) elevation with rendered quoins to ends. Exposed random rubble stone construction to remainder with lime mortar. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. 3/6 and 6/6 timber sash windows. Replacement tiled shopfront, c.1965, to ground floor with fixed-pane (single- and two-light) timber display windows, glazed timber panelled door having overlight, and timber fascia board over. Road fronted with flagged footpath to front.
An elegantly-proportioned middle-size house retaining its original form and fabric to the upper floors, and which contributes to the character of the streetscape. However, the replacement shopfront to ground floor, which possibly incorporates the fabric of an earlier shopfront on site, is of limited design quality, and does not particularly enhance the visual appeal of the site.