Categories of Special Interest
1830 - 1850
Terraced two-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1840. Renovated, c.1940, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Extensively renovated, c.1990, with dormer attic added. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1990, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stacks, replacement square rooflights, c.1990, and cast-iron rainwater goods on slightly overhanging rendered eaves having iron brackets. Unpainted rendered walls with rendered quoined piers to ends. Square-headed window openings with cut-limestone sills, and replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1940, to ground floor with fixed-pane timber display windows having casement overlights, glazed timber door with overlight, replacement timber panelled door, c.1990, to right having overlight, and replacement timber fascia board, c.1990, over. Road fronted with flagged footpath to front.
A well-composed middle-size house that retains most of its original form and massing. However, renovation works over the course of the late twentieth century have led to the removal of much of the original fabric and historic patina. At present, the house forms an elegant feature in the streetscape, and is one of a group of houses of Classical proportions in O'Connell Street.