Categories of Special Interest
1820 - 1840
Terraced two-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1830. Extensively renovated, c.1880, with shopfront inserted to ground floor, and render façade enrichments added. Extensively renovated, c.1980, with dormer attic added. Now disused. Pitched roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1980, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, replacement square rooflights, c.1980, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Unpainted rendered walls with rendered blocked piers, c.1880, to ends. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills, moulded rendered surrounds, c.1880, and moulded rendered entablatures, c.1880, over on consoles to first floor. Replacement timber casement windows, c.1985. Timber shopfront, c.1880, to ground floor with inscribed pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, timber panelled and glazed timber panelled door with overlights, fascia over having decorative consoles, and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
An elegantly-proportioned, finely-detailed house retaining its original form and massing, contributing to the visual appeal of the street scene. Of particular interest are the various features of artistic design merit, including an early timber shopfront together with the rendered dressings to the upper floors. However, the replacement of the original fittings to the openings has eroded some of the historic character of the site.