Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest



1810 - 1830


225949, 93070

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced three-bay two-storey house, c.1820, originally two separate two-bay two-storey (west) and single-bay two-storey (east) houses. Renovated, c.1920, with square-headed carriageway inserted to right ground floor. Renovated, c.1995, with replacement shopfront inserted to left ground floor. Now disused. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, no chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with rendered quoins to ends to left. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and replacement 2/2 timber sash windows, c.1920. Square-headed carriageway inserted, c.1920, to right ground floor with replacement timber boarded accordion doors, c.1995. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1995, to left ground floor with inscribed pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows, timber panelled and glazed timber panelled doors having overlights, fascia over having consoles, and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.


An appealing house, originally built as two separate houses, which retains most of its original form and early character, together with important salient features and materials, and which contributes to the visual appeal of the streetscape. However, the replacement shopfront, incorporating bold proportions and detailing, does not integrate well with the modest quality of the remainder of the composition. The house is of additional significance for its associations with an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire, centred on Grattan Square.