Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1830
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, c.1820. Refenestrated, c.1920. Renovated, c.1970, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods on moulded rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and replacement 1/1 timber sash windows, c.1920. Replacement tongue-and-groove timber panelled shopfront, c.1970, to ground floor with fixed-pane aluminium display windows, timber panelled and glazed timber doors with overlights, and fascia over. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A fine, well-proportioned middle-size house retaining most of its original form and early fabric to the upper floors, and which contributes to the historic flavour of the street scene of O'Connell Street. The house is of additional significance for its associations with an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire, centred on Grattan Square.