Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1820. Renovated, c.1870, with render façade enrichments added. Extensively renovated, c.1995, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor and dormer attic added. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, no chimney stacks (possibly removed, c.1995), replacement square rooflights, c.1995, and cast-iron rainwater goods on moulded rendered eaves having iron brackets. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills, and moulded rendered entablatures, c.1870, over on elongated consoles. Replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1995. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1995, to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane (four-light) timber display window having segmental-headed panes, timber panelled and glazed timber panelled doors with overlights, and fascia over having cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A well-proportioned middle-size house retaining its original form and massing, and contributing to the streetscape value of O'Connell Street. The house is of additional interest on account of its associations with the early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire, centred on Grattan Square. Extensively renovated in the late twentieth century, much of the original fabric and historic patina has been lost, although the survival of the early rendered dressings to the openings enhances the visual appeal of the site.