Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1830
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, c.1820. Renovated, c.1870, with render façade enrichments added. Extensively renovated, c.1995, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1995, clay ridge tiles, no chimney stacks (possibly removed, c.1995), and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls (possibly replacement, c.1995) with rendered quoins to ends. Square-headed window openings with stone sills on moulded corbels, and moulded rendered surrounds, c.1870, having entablatures over on consoles. Replacement timber casement windows, c.1995, with horns in form of timber sash windows. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1995, to ground floor with inscribed pilasters having shamrock detailing, fixed-pane timber display windows having casement sections, timber panelled and glazed timber double doors with overlights, fascia over having consoles, and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A well-proportioned middle-size house retaining its original form and massing, and contributing to the streetscape value of O'Connell Street. The house is of additional interest on account of its associations with the early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire, centred on Grattan Square. Extensively renovated in the late twentieth century, much of the original fabric and historic patina has been lost, although the survival of the early render façade enrichments enhances the visual appeal of the site.