Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1830
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1820, retaining original fenestration. Renovated, c.1895, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Reroofed, c.1995. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1995, clay ridge tiles, no chimney stacks (possibly removed, c.1995), and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered, ruled and lined walls with rendered quoined piers to ends. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and moulded rendered surrounds. 3/6 and 6/6 timber sash windows. Timber shopfront, c.1895, to ground floor with pilasters, fixed-pane (two-light) timber display window having cast-iron supporting column to interior, replacement fixed-pane timber display window, c.1995, to original door opening having overlight, fascia over having consoles, and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
An appealing house built as part of an urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire in the early nineteenth century centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square. Subsequently well maintained, the house retains its original form and fabric to the upper floors, which contributes to the historic character of the site. Of particular interest is the survival of an early timber shopfront to ground floor, which is of artistic design merit, and which enhances the street scene at street level.