Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1820
Terraced single-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1815. Extensively renovated, c.1990, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor, and dormer attic added. Pitched (shared) roof behind parapet with replacement artificial slate, c.1990, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, replacement square rooflights, c.1990, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with rendered stringcourse to parapet having zinc-lined blocking course over. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1990, to ground floor with round-headed fixed-pane timber windows on diagonal tongue-and-groove timber panels, round-headed door opening with glazed diagonal tongue-and-groove timber panelled door, and timber box fascia over. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house is an integral component of an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square. However, extensive renovation works in the late twentieth century have led to the loss of most of the original fabric, while the replacement shopfront to ground floor is crudely detailed, and does not have a positive impact on the expression of the composition at street level. Nevertheless, the basic form and massing remains intact, contributing to the regular streetline and roofline of the north-west range of the square.