Categories of Special Interest
1800 - 1820
Terraced single-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1810. Renovated, c.1885, with render façade enrichments added. Reroofed, c.1935, with dormer attic added. Extensively renovated, pre-1999, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched (shared) roof behind parapet with replacement artificial slate, c.1935, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, replacement square rooflight, c.1935, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with rendered stringcourse to parapet having rendered blocking course over. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills (on consoles to top floor), and moulded rendered surrounds, c.1885. Replacement uPVC casement windows, pre-1999. Replacement tiled shopfront, pre-1999, to ground floor with fixed-pane timber window, timber panelled and glazed timber panelled doors having overlights. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house is an integral component of an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square. However, extensive renovation works in the late twentieth century have led to the loss of most of the original fabric, while the unsympathetic alterations to the ground floor have not had a positive impact on the expression of the composition at street level. Nevertheless, the basic form and massing remains intact, contributing to the regular streetline and roofline of the north-west range of the square.