Categories of Special Interest
1800 - 1820
Terraced single-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1810. Extensively renovated, c.1985, with openings remodelled to ground floor to accommodate commercial use, and dormer attic added. Pitched (shared) roof behind parapet with replacement artificial slate, c.1985, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with rendered cornice to parapet having zinc-lined blocking course over. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and replacement aluminium casement windows, c.1985. Square-headed openings remodelled, c.1985, to ground floor with replacement fixed-pane aluminium display window, c.1985, and replacement glazed aluminium door, c.1985, having overlights. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
This house is an integral component of an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square. However, extensive renovation works in the late twentieth century have led to the loss of most of the original fabric, while the unsympathetic alterations to the ground floor have not had a positive impact on the expression of the composition at street level. Nevertheless, the basic form and massing remains intact, contributing to the regular streetline and roofline of the north-west range of the square.