Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1820
Terraced two-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1815. Reroofed, c.1940, with dormer attic added. Extensively renovated, c.1990, with replacement pubfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched (shared) roof behind parapet with replacement artificial slate, c.1940, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with rendered coping to parapet. Square-headed window openings with stone sills, and replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990. Replacement timber pubfront, c.1990, to ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane (single- and three-light) timber display windows having segmental-headed panes with Corinthian colonette mullions, glazed timber panelled door with overlight, fascia over having decorative consoles, and dentilated moulded cornice with cast-iron cresting. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A well-proportioned house forming an integral component of an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square. Extensively renovated over the course of the twentieth century, much of the original fabric has been lost. However, the basic form and massing of the composition remains intact, while the replacement pubfront to ground floor, although excessively ornamented, makes references to an earlier model on site.