Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1820
Terraced four-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1815, originally two separate two-bay three-storey houses. Reroofed, c.1940. Renovated and refenestrated, c.1990, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor, and dormer attic added. Pitched (shared) roof behind parapet with replacement artificial slate, c.1940, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, replacement square rooflights, c.1990, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills, and replacement uPVC casement windows, c.1990. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1990, to ground floor on an asymmetrical plan possibly incorporating fabric of earlier shopfront, c.1940, with fluted pilasters, fixed-pane (three- and two-light) display windows having segmental-headed panes, timber panelled doors with overlights, and fascia over having raised lettering, decorative consoles, and moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
Originally built as two separate houses, this building forms an integral component of an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square. Extensively renovated over the course of the twentieth century, much of the original fabric has been lost. However, the elementary form and massing remains intact, contributing to the regular streetline and roofline of the north-west range of the square.