Categories of Special Interest
1800 - 1820
End-of-terrace two-bay three-storey house with dormer attic, c.1810, retaining some early fenestration. Renovated, c.1935, with shopfront inserted to ground floor. Reroofed, c.1960, with dormer attic added. Part refenestrated, c.1985. Renovated, post-1999, with shopfront restored. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1960, clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stack, replacement square rooflight, c.1960, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered wall to front (south-west) elevation with unpainted rendered walls to remainder. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills. 2/2 timber sash windows to top floor with replacement timber casement windows, c.1985, to remainder. Timber shopfront, c.1935, to ground floor renovated, post-1999, with fluted pilasters, fixed-pane timber display window, timber panelled and glazed timber panelled doors having overlights, and fascia over. Road fronted with concrete cobbled footpath to front.
A well-proportioned house, built as one of a pair (with 22821024/WD-31-21-24) as part of an integral component of an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square. Reasonably well maintained, the house retains its original form and massing, some early fittings, which enhance the character of the site, and a simple shopfront of some artistic design quality.