Categories of Special Interest
1800 - 1820
Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1810, retaining early fenestration. Reroofed and renovated, c.1985, with replacement shopfront inserted to ground floor. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, c.1985, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, and replacement uPVC rainwater goods, c.2000, on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills, and 2/2 timber sash windows. Replacement timber shopfront, c.1985, to ground floor with panels having swags over, fixed-pane (four-light) timber display window on panelled stall riser with round-headed panes, glazed timber panelled door with overlight, fascia over having raised lettering, and dentilated moulded cornice. Road fronted with concrete cobbled footpath to front.
A well-proportioned house, built as one of a pair (with 22821025/WD-31-21-25) as part of an integral component of an early nineteenth-century urban planning project initiated by the Duke of Devonshire centred on Grattan (originally Market) Square. Reasonably well maintained, the house retaining its original from and massing to the upper floors, together with early salient fittings to the window openings, while the shopfront to ground floor alludes to an Irish traditional model, and does not detract from the visual appeal of the street scene at street level.