Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use


In Use As



1840 - 1860


210181, 92963

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Detached six-bay two-storey house, c.1850, on an L-shaped plan on a corner site retaining some original fenestration with two-bay two-storey side elevation to north-east, and two-bay two-storey return to north-west. Renovated, c.1975, with single-bay single-storey projecting glazed porch added. Part refenestrated, c.2000, with one window opening remodelled. Hipped slate roof (hipped to porch) on an L-shaped plan with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on elongated wrought iron brackets. Unpainted fine roughcast walls. Square-headed window openings (one remodelled, c.2000) with stone sills (replacement concrete sill, c.2000, to remodelled opening), and 6/6 timber sash windows having some replacement uPVC casement windows, c.2000. Square-headed openings to porch with fixed-pane timber windows on concrete sill, and glazed timber door. Set back from line of road in own grounds on a corner site with unpainted cement rendered boundary wall, c.1975, to perimeter of site.


A well-proportioned house of modest appearance, which retains most of its original form and massing, together with some important salient features and materials. However, the gradual replacement of the original openings with inappropriate modern fittings threatens the historic character of the composition. Occupying an important corner site in the centre of Villierstown, the house contributes positively to the visual appeal of the village.