Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1880
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, c.1870. Renovated, c.1945, with openings remodelled to ground floor. Refenestrated, c.1995. Now disused to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed window openings to upper floors with rendered sills, moulded rendered surrounds, and replacement aluminium casement windows, c.1995. Square-headed door opening to left ground floor with replacement glazed aluminium door, c.1995, and overlight. Square-headed openings remodelled, c.1945, to ground floor with replacement aluminium casement windows, c.1995, replacement glazed aluminium door, c.1995, and overlight having rendered panel fascia over. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A well-composed, middle-size house that retains most of its original form and massing to the upper floors. However, systematic renovation works over the course of the twentieth century have led to the loss of most of the original fabric, and to the erosion of much of the historic character as a consequence. Decorative elements to the exterior, such as the moulded surrounds to the window openings, serve to link the composition stylistically with a number of further buildings in the terrace (including 22818036 – 37, 59/WD-28-18-36 – 37, 59), all of which contribute significantly to the street scene of West Street.