Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest


Original Use



1860 - 1880


199531, 93454

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay three-storey house, c.1870, retaining original fenestration, and originally with shopfront to ground floor. Renovated, c.1970, with openings remodelled to ground floor. Now disused. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Unpainted replacement cement rendered wall, c.1970, to ground floor with unpainted roughcast wall to upper floors having painted full-height rendered inscribed pilasters to ends with foliate detailing to ‘capitals’, and moulded rendered stringcourse to first floor. Square-headed window openings to upper floors with rendered sills, moulded rendered surrounds, and 2/2 timber sash windows. Square-headed window openings remodelled, c.1970, to ground floor with concrete sills, and replacement fixed-pane timber display windows, c.1970. Square-headed door opening with replacement glazed timber door, c.1970, and overlight. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.


A well-proportioned house that, although now disused, retains its original form and massing, together with substantial quantities of the early fabric to the upper floors, enhancing the historic quality of the composition. However, renovation works to the ground floor that have led to the removal of the original shopfront, and to the alteration of the original profile of the openings, have not had a positive impact on the appearance of the composition at street level. Decorative elements, such as the moulded surrounds to the window openings, serve to link the composition stylistically with a number of further buildings in the terrace (including 22818036 – 37, 60/WD-28-18-36 – 37, 60), all of which contribute significantly to the street scene of West Street.