Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1860 - 1880
End-of-terrace three-bay three-storey house, c.1870, retaining original fenestration with shopfront to ground floor. Now in use as offices to ground floor. One of a pair. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered walls with rusticated pier to left ground floor, and inscribed full-height pilaster to left upper floors. Square-headed window openings with rendered sills, and 2/2 timber sash windows. Timber shopfront to ground floor with inscribed pilasters, fixed-pane timber display windows (having glazed (three-light) timber screens behind), timber panelled double doors, and fascia over having moulded cornice. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings to upper floors. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front having cut-stone kerbing.
A elegantly-composed middle-size building, purpose-built as one of a pair (with 22818034/WD-28-18-34) accommodating a commercial use to ground floor having residential accommodation over. Very well maintained, the house retains its original form and massing, together with important salient features and materials, both to the exterior and to the interior. The shopfront is of considerable artistic design distinction, and enhances the visual appeal of the site at street level. The house, together with the second in the pair, forms an appealing feature of formal appearance in the streetscape of West Street.