Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
End-of-terrace three-bay two-storey house, c.1840, possibly originally detached retaining most original fenestration. Renovated and part refenestrated, c.1890, with shopfront inserted to right ground floor. Reroofed, c.1965. Now entirely in residential use. Pitched roof with replacement profiled clay tile, c.1965, clay ridge tiles, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted rendered wall to front (south) elevation over random rubble stone construction with exposed random rubble stone walls to remainder. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. 6/6 timber sash windows with replacement timber casement window, c.1890, to left ground floor. Timber shopfront, c.1890, to right ground floor with panelled pilasters, fixed-pane (three-light) timber display window having wrought iron bars, timber panelled door, and timber panelled fascia over. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings to first floor. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
An attractive modest-scale house of informal appearance retaining most of its original form and fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior. An important element of the composition is the simple shopfront to right ground floor, which has survived the re-conversion to residential use, and which is of inherent artistic design distinction. The house makes a subtle impact in the streetscape, and contributes positively to the historic character of West Street.