Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
Garda station/constabulary barracks
1820 - 1840
Terraced three-bay three-storey house, c.1830, retaining most original fenestration. Renovated, c.1930, with shopfront inserted to ground floor to accommodate use as Garda Síochána Station. Refenestrated, c.1980, to ground floor. Reroofed, post-1999. Pitched (shared) roof with replacement artificial slate, pst-1999, clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods on rendered eaves. Painted replacement rendered wall, c.1930, to ground floor with painted roughcast wall to upper floors having rendered strips to ends. Square-headed window openings with stone sills. 6/3 and 6/6 timber sash windows. Rendered shopfront, c.1930, to ground floor with pilasters, replacement timber casement windows, c.1980, glazed timber panelled door, timber panelled double doors with overlights, and moulded rendered cornice. Interior with timber panelled shutters to window openings to upper floors. Road fronted with concrete brick cobbled footpath to front.
A well-proportioned middle-size house retaining most of its original form and massing, together with substantial quantities of the early fabric, both to the exterior and to the interior. Subsequently converted to use as a Garda Síochána Station, the resulting frontage to ground floor is of some artistic design merit, and contributes significantly to the visual appeal of the composition at street level.