Survey Data

Reg No

22818006


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Historical, Social


Original Use

Store/warehouse


Date

1810 - 1850


Coordinates

199600, 93521


Date Recorded

01/10/2003


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced ten-bay four-storey warehouse, c.1830, with segmental-headed carriageway to right ground floor. Extensively renovated, c.1930, with additional square-headed carriageway inserted to ground floor. Renovated, c.1980, with openings remodelled to ground floor to accommodate commercial use. Now disused. Pitched slate roof with clay ridge tiles, rendered (shared) chimney stack, rendered coping (including to party wall), and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted replacement rendered wall, c.1930, to front (west) elevation over random rubble stone construction with rendered fascia to ground floor having cornice, and exposed random rubble stone walls to remainder with lime mortar. Segmental-headed window openings to first and to second floor with chamfered sills, and fixed-pane timber fittings having lattice panels. Square-headed window openings to top floor with no sills, and timber fittings. Square-headed window openings remodelled, c.1980, to ground floor with rendered sills, and fixed-pane timber display windows. Square-headed door openings with replacement timber boarded doors, c.1930, to left ground floor having overlight, and replacement glazed timber door, c.1980, to right ground floor having sidelight. Segmental-headed carriageway to right ground floor with replacement timber boarded door, c.1980. Square-headed carriageway inserted, c.1930, to ground floor (extending into part of first floor) with iron double doors. Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.

Appraisal

A well-composed substantial warehouse that forms an important component of the industrial heritage of Tallow, having originally had associations with a brewery operating in the locality in the mid nineteenth century. Although remodelled to ground floor leading to the obliteration of much of the original form to that portion, the remainder of the building remains much as originally intended, with substantial quantities of the original fabric intact. The warehouse forms a prominent feature in the streetscape, and contributes to the character of Convent Street (Tallowbridge Street).