Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Historical, Social, Technical
1810 - 1850
Terraced seven-bay four-storey rubble stone warehouse, c.1830, possibly originally detached with pair of segmental-headed carriageways to ground floor. Now disused and derelict. Pitched (shared) slate roof with clay ridge tiles, lime rendered chimney stack over rubble stone construction, and remains of cast-iron rainwater goods on rubble stone eaves retaining cast-iron downpipes. Random rubble stone walls with lime mortar. Square-headed window openings with no sills, and rubble stone voussoirs. Remains of timber fittings with some window openings having wrought iron bars. Square-headed door openings (including one to first floor) with rubble stone voussoirs, and remains of timber fittings. Pair of segmental-headed carriageways with red brick ‘voussoirs’, and timber boarded double doors (one carriageway now boarded-up). Road fronted with concrete footpath to front.
A well-proportioned rubble stone warehouse, probably originally having associations with a brewery operating in Tallow in the mid nineteenth century, which is an important component of the industrial heritage of the locality. Although now long disused and in an advanced state of dereliction, the warehouse retains its original form and massing, with important salient features and materials intact. The warehouse forms a prominent feature in Convent Street (Tallowbridge Street), and contributes significantly to the character of the streetscape.